Why do my shoes stink?
Odor is caused by having a damp sweaty shoe. To keep the smell away you need to prevent moisture and deprive the odor of a sweaty home. These are the 5 best ways to eliminate odor with household items.
If your shoes are really bad, scroll to the bottom for some extra strength alternatives.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is great at absorbing odor and moisture.
If you're worried about getting powder on your socks make sure to use the baking soda at night, and then wipe it out of your shoes with a paper towel in the morning.
- After using your shoes sprinkle some baking soda inside each shoe and let them sit overnight.
- The baking soda will work even better if used during the day as well. However, you can remove the baking soda in the morning with a paper towel if you're worried about getting the white powder on your feet or socks.
2. Essential Oils
Essential oils are great at eliminating shoe odor. Essential oils also have the added benefit of smelling nice.
The best essential oils to use are: Eucalyptus, Tea tree, Lavender, Lemongrass, Clove Leaf, and Peppermint. Any of these essential oils can be used, or they can be combined for added effect.
- Put a few drops of essential oils on a cotton ball or tissue
- Rub the cotton ball or tissue on the inside of your shoes and leave overnight
3. Freeze your shoes
Try sticking your shoes in your freezer. The freezing temperatures should help dry out your shoes.
- Place your shoes in a large resealable bag or a tied up grocery bag.
- Leave your shoes in the freezer overnight
- Let your shoes thaw out
4. Wash your shoes
Sometimes your shoes just have too much odor and other stuff going on. Many shoes can be washed in a washing machine, if not you can hand wash them (Check the care label to be sure). Do not put your shoes in the dryer.
- Place your shoes in a pillowcase or wash bag
- Use a cold wash cycle, or cold water for hand washing
- Add detergent
- Let your shoes air dry (outside is best).
5. Try something a little strongerIf none of these tips seem to do the trick, you're going to need something a little more powerful. We designed two great natural products. A shoe spray to eliminate odor and a foot powder to eliminate moisture.